BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup to Multiple NAS

2011-08-11 09:42:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup to Multiple NAS
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:40:45 -0400
David Uhlmann wrote at about 11:55:57 +0200 on Thursday, August 11, 2011:
 > Dear all,
 >
 > I want to run a Backup to 2 NAS-Systems, attached via NFS. Because BackupPC
 > can do backups to only one folder, my idea is this:
 >
 > Create Directory /backup
 >
 > Run a Cron Job to mount the NAS via NFS, linked to the /backup-Folder. After
 > the Job, umount the NAS and mount the other one.
 >
 > What do you think about that solution?

That may not work properly unless your cron job also starts/stop the backuppc
daemon since when backuppc starts it tries to create a hard link in
TopDir. So you at least need something mounted when you start the
process...

Also, how will you handle BackupPC_nightly?

Also, unless you also run the dumps from cron, you need to make sure
that each NAS is mounted long enough for the hourly wakeup
process...

Also, how will you know when all your dumps are done? Sometimes they
can take longer than you anticipate... especially since the dumps are
driven by aging so it's possible the dumps won't even start when you
expect let alone end.

Your method is certainly *possible* but it breaks the normal paradigm
and has at least the above issues to be concerned about.

It probably would be a lot simpler to just run BackupPC on a second
pc.
Alternatively, I believe there was a thread a couple years ago about
hacking the BackupPC code to allow a second concurrent BackupPC
process. It would be a cleaner approach too.