BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] wakeup command?

2011-06-23 22:17:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] wakeup command?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 04:15:24 +0200
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2011-06-23 16:19:52 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] wakeup
command?]:
> On 6/23/2011 3:59 PM, gregrwm wrote:
> > is there a command that triggers the equivalent of a wakeup?  normally i
> > only want 1 wakeup per day, yet for special circumstances i often find
> > myself editing in a wakeup a couple minutes hence and triggering a reload.
>
> Normally you'd have moderately frequent wakeups where the actual
> scheduling of the runs is controlled by other settings (which are
> checked at each wakeup).  Is there some reason that is a problem?

there might be, depending on what you abuse your PingCmd etc. for ;-). And you
might want to allow the disk to spin down if it is unused most of the day.
This is also the most effective way to enforce a global blackout. If you
*never* want automatic backups to run during a particular part of the day,
there is no point in scheduling wakeups.

However, I find two or three wakeups more useful than just one. If that one
wakeup is missed (because IncrPeriod is a few minutes too long), you don't get
a backup that day (with only one wakeup). Also, BackupPC_nightly is run on the
first wakeup (i.e. first entry in $Conf{WakeupSchedule}, whatever time that
is), and I don't want that running in parallel with backups.

In any case, no there is no command that triggers the equivalent of a wakeup,
but the part you are probably interested in - running backups which are due -
can be triggered with

        BackupPC_serverMesg backup all

If it's the nightly cleanup you're interested in, that would be

        BackupPC_serverMesg BackupPC_nightly run

In any case, BackupPC_serverMesg needs to be run as the backuppc user.

Regards,
Holger