BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc keeping too many fulls

2011-06-02 11:32:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc keeping too many fulls
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:31:02 -0400

On 6/2/2011 10:56 AM, Matthew Ayres wrote:
> Thanks for the response
>
> My settings for incremental backups
>
> $Conf{IncrPeriod} = '2.97'
> $Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = 3;
> Conf{IncrKeepCntMin} = 1;
> $Conf{IncrAgeMax} = 30;

So you are doing a full backup every 7 days and an incremental every 3
days. You keep 3 incrementals, so you will have 9 days worth of
incrementals. Your summary screen probably looks something like this:

day 1 - full
day 7 - incr
day 8 - full
day 11 - incr
day 14 - incr
day 15 - full

Since you are keeping 3 incrementals, the first full cannot be deleted
since the "day 7" incremental depends on it. On the next incremental
run, they "day 7" incremental will be removed and the "day 1" full will
be also be removed since it is no longer needed. Your screen will then
look like this:

day 8 - full
day 11 - incr
day 14 - incr
day 15 - full
day 18 - incr

Each time you run an incremental backup, the oldest incremental will be
removed. The full backups can only be removed when there are no more
incrementals left that depend on them. Because of this, you will never
be able to maintain only one full. If you do incrementals more often or
keep fewer of them, you might be able to limit it to no more than 2 fulls.

On the other hand, does it make that much difference? Due to the
pooling, the fulls should not take up any more disk space than the
incrementals, they just take longer to run.

--
Bowie