BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] moving temporarily PC and pool to an external drive

2011-06-01 18:12:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] moving temporarily PC and pool to an external drive
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 17:10:17 -0500
On 06/01 07:47 , Philippe Rousselot wrote:
> My hard drives are full and need to add one to have a new and bigger
> /var partition.
>
> In the mean time I would like to continue  backing up things using an
> external drive

I think what you are trying for here is best served by the general plan:

* copy data from /var/lib/backuppc to the external HDD
* mount external HDD in place of /var/lib/backuppc
* when you get new disk, mount it in place of /var/lib/backuppc and copy
your data from the external HDD to the new disk

Do you know how to use tar and/or dd to copy the contents of one disk to
another?

Do you know how to use mount or a bind mount to mount your disk onto
/var/lib/backuppc?

Since /var/lib/backuppc is where the data is stored, I suggest that the best
course of action is to have a separate filesystem mounted there. That way,
if your data disk dies you still have the OS to help fix things; and if your
OS disk dies you have the data undisturbed.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator