BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] hard links again

2011-05-31 20:29:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] hard links again
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Scott <coolcoder AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 02:29:06 +0200
Hi,

Scott wrote on 2011-05-31 19:57:11 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] hard links
again]:
> I noticed the backup data appears to be stored in the pc directory.   Does
> that mean the hardlinks are in the pool directory and not in the pc
> directory?

ah, you don't understand what hardlinks are. Hardlinks are simply different
names (directory entries) pointing to the same content (inode, file). They're
indistinguishable from each other. There's no "primary" name, they are all
equal. The content you access is identical, no matter which of the names you
use.

If you need more explanation, google is your friend.

> So would it be possible to store the pc directory in a different directory
> (in my flexraid pool) but store the pool directory in a normal ext file
> system?   What about the cpool ?

No. Hardlinks can obviously only work within one file system.

Regards,
Holger