BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] rsync fails, Connection reset by peer

2011-03-23 12:21:55
Subject: [BackupPC-users] rsync fails, Connection reset by peer
From: Jake Wilson <jake.wilson AT answeron DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 09:48:30 -0600
I just setup BackupPC on a server and I'm working to get it working via rsync with some of our servers.  I have ssh keys setup so that root can ssh from the host server to the client server without requiring a login.

When I try to run a full backup to the client I get this:

2011-03-23 09:40:43 Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
2011-03-23 09:40:48 Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)

And the Last bad Xfer LOG:

full backup started for directory /www
Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l -v root client_server /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /www/
Xfer PIDs are now 27367
Sending: 1c000000
Rsync command pid is 27367
Fetching remote protocol
Read EOF: Connection reset by peer
Tried again: got 0 bytes
Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)
Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior one (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)

Even though we run an internal DNS server, I've also tried specifying client_server's ip address instead and got the same error.

What am I doing wrong? The error is completely cryptic.