BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Mac client ssh setup

2011-03-23 10:27:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Mac client ssh setup
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 09:25:22 -0500
> I'm a newbie with limited Linux experience, but I've had BPC running for
> about a week on a test machine running Centos 5.5. So far I've
> successfully gotten backups for a Windows machine over SMB and another
> linux (CentOS) with rsync; however, I'm having trouble getting things to
> work for a Mac client running 10.6.6 and am hoping for some help.
>
> I am using rsync xfer and have tried setting things up as I did for the
> linux machine: created a public key in /var/lib/backuppc/.ssh. For the
> linux machine, I copied that to root on the client with ssh-copy-id and
> everything worked fine. One the Mac, root is not enabled, so I copied the
> key to the user's home directory. That worked in that I can ssh from the
> BPC server to the Mac user without a password.

You probably want to just enable root, in which case, you can essentially
do the same thing as you did with Linux:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1528

> But when I try to run a backup on it, it fails with a "Unable to read 4
> bytes" error. I've tried a lot changes to user and share in the host
> config file, but nothing works (/ vs /user/home, backuppc vs mac user as
> user) and nothing has worked. From some web searching I may have to get a
> key from the Mac onto the BPC server, but there is also this
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=MacOS_X_secure_setup
> in the wiki about setting up a backuppc user on the Mac.

You probably want to shorten your steps and test ssh in this manner --

On the BackupPC box:
su - backuppc
ssh testbox -l root

In the above example, "testbox" is the box you want to make sure works
with BackupPC, and "root" is the username in the RsyncClientCmd.  If it
doesn't work, get it working first before bothering with BackupPC backups
-- it's almost certainly the source of your "Unable to read 4 bytes"
error.