BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] host resolution problem

2011-03-20 15:37:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] host resolution problem
From: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:34:19 +0100
Gabriel Rossetti wrote:

> On 03/19/2011 09:49 PM, Papp Tamas wrote:
>> On 03/19/2011 09:02 PM, Gabriel Rossetti wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I read up on how BackupPC finds hosts, in my case nmblookup works. The
>>> problem is that when it tries to run the ssh command, it uses the host's
>>> name and not the IP it finds with nmblookup, so ssh exits complaining it
>>> can't find the host. How can I get BackupPC to use the IP found using
>>> nmblookup? I thought it would automatically do this since it can't
>>> resolve it directly, but I guess not.

Whats about to configure $Conf{SshPath} to use a self made script which use
ssh by IP instead name.

Another (in my point of view much better) way is to configure your clients
to tell their DNS-names to the DNS service.
In Linux you can reach this by editing /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf or
/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf (at least in Debian)
Write there a line 'send host-name "<hostname>";'

br
Matthias
--
Don't Panic