BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [newb] ssh rsync with restricted permissions

2011-03-18 11:30:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [newb] ssh rsync with restricted permissions
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:28:40 -0500
On 3/18/2011 6:57 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
> Neal Becker wrote:
>
>> I'm interested in setting up linux->linux backup.  I don't like the idea of
>> giving permission for machine1 as user backup to ssh to machine2 as root.
>> What are the options?
>>
>> 1. Can ssh be restricted so that the only command user backup can run is
>> rsync? 2. Is there an easy way (using acls?) to give a user backup read
>> access
>> to everything (probably not)
>> 3. Some other options I haven't thought of?
>>

> Maybe I can use the command=rsync option to the client's authorized_keys file?

You can, but keep in mind that your security still depends very much on
the security of the backup host.  If you permit write access it can
replace any files on the targets, and even without, it is likely to have
copies of private keys in the backups and encrypted passwords that can
be cracked with offline access.