BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions

2011-03-11 16:06:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 04:04:04 +0700
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> It is the number of files with more than one link that matter, not so much the
> total size.  But the newer rsync that doesn't need the whole file tree loaded
> at
> once besides the link table and lots of RAM may permit it to scale up more.

OK, so TOPDIR is the proper name for the hardlinked filesystem (as
opposed to the pool), and it's usually /var/lib/backuppc/, correct?

And it's this filesystem that is the one that can be a problem, correct?

It would be great if we could have a standard set of metrics to be
able to compare our filesystems, since what might be a "huge number"
to one person is likely to be a tiny fraction of someone else's.

So looking for advice from one more Linux-knowledgeable than I on what
stats to collect and how to best collect them.

  For example "df -i /var/lib/backuppc/" will show the total number of
inodes, correct?

  And "find /var/lib/backuppc/ -type f -links +1" would show the total
number of files that have more than one hard link, correct?

  Would these two metrics be sufficient to allow for objective
comparisons of the filesystems?

Other data points:

  Exact version of rsync - if between client and server then on both ends.

  Total RAM on the machine, and ideally a comparison of the amount in
use before the RSYNC process starts running, and then say ten minutes
after it's started.

Anything else?