BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions

2011-03-10 16:34:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:32:17 -0500
Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote at about 13:35:31 -0600 on Thursday, March 10,
2011:
 > On 03/10 12:55 , Michael Conner wrote:
 > > One additional question: are there any advantages to any particular flavor
 > > of Linux for BPC?
 >

 > Debian.
 > Just because it's the best distro ever of all time and nothing else comes
 > close.
 >
 > (note, the above was sarcasm; but it really does have a very nice backuppc
 > package).

The reality is that since BackupPC is really just a bunch of perl
scripts, it configures, builds and installs easily even without a
package manager.

As a result, there is no practical difference between debian vs. rpm
versions.
Except, that the official Fedora/Centos rpm remains stuck for some
reason on 3.1.0 while Debian is updated to 3.2.0.
I have built my own Fedora rpm that runs on 3.2.0 and works at least
with Fedora 12 (and should work with other versions too).

Debian does have one potentially MAJOR downside -- that is that since
dpkg (and hence also apt) makes it hard to override package
dependencies, you are stuck with all the other packages that the
Debian BackupPC package draws in, including apache. (Note that Fedora
makes it easier to override dependencies without having to build dummy
packages like in Debian). When I run BackupPC native on a NAS or a
plugcomputer, I have no room and/or cpu and memory capacity to run
apache. Hence, I end up just installing BackupPC manually (which as I
mentioned above is actually quite easy!)