BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC configuration question

2011-03-09 13:39:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC configuration question
From: Wayne Trevena <wayne.trevena AT witc.co DOT uk>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 18:22:49 +0000
On 09/03/2011 18:01, Jim Durand wrote:

What is beneficial about doing full backups weekly versus making only 1 full backup then incremental going forward?

Thanks!

Jim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Colocation vs. Managed Hosting A question and answer guide to determining the best fit for your organization - today and in the future. http://p.sf.net/sfu/internap-sfd2d
As far as I understand it, it is all to do with how the incrementals are added on to the last full so if you have a full back up and then say 3 incrementals, the server only has to parse 3 incrementals on top of the last full.  If you have a full and then loads of incrementals, each incremental has to be parsed for any changes.

As you can imagine, this would hammer the server quite a bit if you had full backups that were weeks/months old.

I can't remember off hand but I followed an example somewhere where they gave the tower of hanoi (I think?) example of how to keep fulls.

Someone will probably add to this.

--
Wave IT
          Consulting Ltd

This communication and any files attached are to be treated as confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient(s). The information contained within may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you have reason to believe that you are not the intended recipient of this communication, please contact the sender immediately and delete this email from your system.

WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted by Email. The recipient should check this Email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Wave IT Consulting Ltd accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this Email. This Email and any attachments may not be copied or forwarded without express written permission from a Director of Wave IT Consulting Ltd. In the event of any unauthorised copying or forwarding, recipient(s) will be required to indemnify Wave IT Consulting Ltd against any claim for loss or damage caused by any viruses or otherwise.