BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] RSYNC (or other) client TO server connection possible (firewall) ?

2011-03-08 15:26:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] RSYNC (or other) client TO server connection possible (firewall) ?
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 20:24:08 +0000
On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 15:09 -0500, Scott wrote:
> How do we handle laptops or similar machines that are rarely (or
> never) connected to the LAN or anywhere that I can open ports?   Is it
> possible to install something on the client laptop/machine to make an
> outgoing connection to the server and initiate a backup, like an
> outgoing rsync to the server?

Yes. You could have the client do this:

ssh -R 20001:localhost:22 user@backupserver

Then configure the client to use localhost port 20001:

$Conf{ClientNameAlias} = 'localhost';
$Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '$sshPath -p 20001 ...';
$Conf{PingCmd} = 'tcpping -p 20001 $host';

You'll need to install some tcpping (there are many) solution, or
disable ping.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of
men's minds, which follows from the advance of science."