BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc and empty directories!

2011-03-04 14:15:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc and empty directories!
From: Brad Alexander <storm16 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 14:13:22 -0500
Thats a good point, Les. I also thought that with backuppc 4.0 on the way, I'd mention maybe having some test options within backuppc itself. I was more thinking out loud, and this thread kind of gelled the need in my mind.

--b

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On 3/4/11 3:56 AM, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 21:35 -0500, Brad Alexander wrote:
>> I had noticed this a while back, because of a misconfiguration on my
>> part. However, that brings a thought to mind, a feature request.
>>
>> I guess the best way to describe it would be a "dry run" restore mode.
>> Something where I could run a full or partial restore  and exercise
>> the mechanism on the backuppc server, while not actually moving the
>> files. Have it go through all the motions, including putting a list of
>> files in the final report.
>
> That can be done now. Just add -n to RsyncRestoreArgs. Presumably
> something similiar can be done for SMB, Tar, etc.

It's probably even better to do a real test of the file content even if you just
do a small random sampling.  You can do a browser download of some subdirectory
tree, restore it in a different place, then diff against the original - or you
can use rsync with the -avn options to compare and list files with differences
but not do a copy.