BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc and empty directories!

2011-03-03 21:38:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc and empty directories!
From: Brad Alexander <storm16 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 21:35:57 -0500
I had noticed this a while back, because of a misconfiguration on my part. However, that brings a thought to mind, a feature request.

I guess the best way to describe it would be a "dry run" restore mode. Something where I could run a full or partial restore  and exercise the mechanism on the backuppc server, while not actually moving the files. Have it go through all the motions, including putting a list of files in the final report.

Thoughts?
--b

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On 3/3/2011 9:57 AM, Michael Stowe wrote:
>> Guys i need your help all,  i am relying on backuppc for long time now,
>> recently someone lost a directory and i started to recover its files from
>> backuppc and i shocked when i found the directories empty, even in the
>> full backup the directories are empty i am backup using SMB, and there is
>> no errors at all, any ideas?!
>
> There are a lot of reasons this can happen with SMB:  permissions, open
> files, moved directories (incrementals), or with later versions of
> Windows, symbolic links (for example, I'd expect to find "Documents and
> Settings" empty on Windows 7, since it's just a link to a different
> directory.)
>
> With more information, you might get better guesses, but that's what comes
> to mind.

Be sure you are looking for errors in the logs of the full backup runs.
 The incrementals probably won't mention any files with earlier
timestamps even if they weren't included in the prior full due to an error.