BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Renaming files causes retransfer?

2011-02-21 02:35:29
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Renaming files causes retransfer?
From: martin f krafft <madduck AT madduck DOT net>
To: backuppc users list <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 08:14:11 +0100
Dear list,

we are facing a policy change requiring people to rename data files
in a trivial way (replace ':' with '-').

In terms of backuppc, this means that the files will have to be
transferred again, completely, right?

Or is there a way in which I can prepare the server for this change
and prevent the completely unnecessary transfer of terabytes of
data, just so backuppc can find out that the data haven't changed?

Thanks,

"my experience is that as soon as people are old enough to know better,
 they don't know anything at all."
                                                        -- oscar wilde

spamtraps: madduck.bogus AT madduck DOT net