BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] tar: Skipping to next header

2011-02-15 13:10:53
Subject: [BackupPC-users] tar: Skipping to next header
From: Guenter Bartsch <guenter.bartsch AT googlemail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 19:09:05 +0100
Hi,

when creating very large backups (~300GB), we sometimes see these
warnings when untarring using gnu tar(version 1.22-2ubuntu1):

# tar xf server1.28.tar.raw
tar: Springe zum nächsten Kopfteil.
tar: Springe zum nächsten Kopfteil.
tar: Springe zum nächsten Kopfteil.
tar: Springe zum nächsten Kopfteil.
tar: Springe zum nächsten Kopfteil.
tar: Springe zum nächsten Kopfteil.
tar: Springe zum nächsten Kopfteil.
tar: Springe zum nächsten Kopfteil.
tar: Springe zum nächsten Kopfteil.
tar: Beende mit Fehlerstatus aufgrund vorheriger Fehler

"Springe zum nächsten Kopfteil." means "Skipping to next header".
restore seems to work ok, though - still we are wondering if this is
to be expected or if this could be a bug?

this is backuppc  3.1.0-9ubuntu1 running on Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS

thanks and keep up the good work,

   guenter