BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Odd/Unexpected Backuppc ping behaviour

2011-02-09 15:42:30
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Odd/Unexpected Backuppc ping behaviour
From: James Guthrie <james AT prodigi DOT ch>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 21:25:13 +0100
Hi there,

I'm battling with some ping issues with backuppc. The result of which is that no "automatic" or nightly backups are being done, the only way to backup my laptop is manually, which works perfectly.

I've been doing a lot of googling to try to understand what the problem is, as far as I can tell, everything should be correctly setup.

I have a laptop which uses DHCP to connect to the network, I connect it both via wireless and wired (sometimes simultaneously). I don't want to have to make any compromises with fixed IP's etc. I want backuppc to work with this laptop despite DHCP.

I've met all of the requirements outlined in the docs, nmblookup works, pinging to the netbios name works, it all delivers the correct result.

Still the problem persists, in the gci/web interface I consistently see "Pings to jamesgmbp have failed x consecutive times.". When I manually backup, it will say that pinging the machine was successful once.

I was confused enough with all of this going on, and my conf looking "right". I then decided to get experimental and set $Conf{PingCmd} = '/bin/true';. Same result. Setting $Conf{PingPath} = '/bin/true'; also changed nothing. (I haven't been restarting backuppc after making changes, as it appeared to me as though changes to the conf were reflected without requiring this).

So, in desperation I ask you what it is that I'm missing. It appears to me as though I've covered all of the bases in the docs and now have nothing I could further investigate without some input from those who know. It would also be interesting (for debug purposes) to know how to force backuppc to ping, so I don't have to wait an hour every time to tell whether the conf setting I changed had an effect or not.

Thanks,
James Guthrie