BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BlackoutPeriods syntax to black-out full day

2011-02-08 18:13:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BlackoutPeriods syntax to black-out full day
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 18:11:13 -0500
Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote at about 15:58:11 -0600 on Tuesday, February 8,
2011:
 > On 02/08 01:33 , Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > I'm a little unsure on how you make the blackout period cover a full
 > > day (i.e. the boundary conditions of hourBegin/hourEnd)
 > >
 > > I want to for example black out the weekend -- all Saturday & Sunday.
 > > i.e. from midnight Friday night to midnight Sunday night.
 > >
 > > Will the following do that?
 > >
 > >     $Conf{BlackoutPeriods} = [
 > >    {
 > >        hourBegin =>  0.0,
 > >        hourEnd   => 24.0,
 > >        weekDays  => [0,7],
 > >    },
 >
 > This may still allow jobs to run at 0.0 (not sure, empirical testing is the
 > only way to know). In order to fix that, I'd make sure $Conf{WakeupSchedule}
 > does not have 0.0 as one of the wakeup times.

That is precisely my concern. I was hoping someone with experience
would save me from having to jury rig my system so that it attempts
something at 12AM... ;)

 > > Also, is there any way to get BackupPC_nightly to also not run during
 > > the blackout period other than perhaps shutting off the entire service
 > > for that period.
 >
 > AFAIK BackupPC_nightly runs when $Conf{WakeupSchedule} begins. For instance,
 > I want BackupPC_nightly to start running when people are working, instead of
 > when the machine should be backing up, so I set:
 > $Conf{WakeupSchedule} = [8..24,1..7];
 >
 > and BackupPC_nightly runs at 8:00.

Yes -- I am aware of that but it would be nice to have a way to
blackout BackupPC_nightly... indeed it's not clear to me it needs to
run every night if your system doesn't have a lot of pool files being
removed... (of course you could split it across multiple nights but
still it might be nice to tell it to run every other day or once a
week, etc...)