BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] LVM Striping for BPC Pool

2011-01-31 20:04:49
Subject: [BackupPC-users] LVM Striping for BPC Pool
From: "Max Olivas " <molivas AT northglenn DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:44:23 -0700
Hey All,

I've built a 9TB BPC server with 5 JBOD 2 TB disks that are lumped together with LVM.  I 'know' that LVM striping should outperform linear LV's but I don't know what size of stripe would be ideal for BPC.  I'm using XFS for my pool on 64 bit Ubuntu Server 10.10.  I've tested my BPC with 1 TB of data with a linear LV, a 4k striped LV, and a 64k striped LV.  There has been only a slight difference in performance ( 64k>linear>4k ) but I'm still testing.

Does anyone have an informed suggestion for a stripe size for BPC?

Thanks,
Max