BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Net:FTP::RetrHandle problem persists for BackupPC 3.2.0?

2011-01-30 10:37:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Net:FTP::RetrHandle problem persists for BackupPC 3.2.0?
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 09:35:05 -0600
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> I am trying to help get 3.2.0 packaged for Fedora and the package
> maintainer ran into a couple of problems. The main issue is the
> bundled Perl module: Net:FTP::RetrHandle. Besides the fact that Fedora
> doesn't allow bundled libraries, when I try to install the module
> using span it fails its tests.
>
> I'm not sure if the module shipped with BackupPC has been altered or
> not, but it seems strange that this problem has not been fixed in the
> module since at least November[1].
>
> Anyone know what's going on?

Replying to myself here... and cpan not span :)

The module in question is version 0.2 and has been "released" since
2006 and has never passed its tests on linux as far as cpantesters
reports. That being the case, Is it really a good idea for BackuPC to
rely on this module?

It showed it past its tests in version 0.1 but I've been unable to
locate an archive of it.

Thanks,
Richard