BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Filesystem separation

2011-01-25 20:16:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Filesystem separation
From: Rob Owens <rowens AT ptd DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:14:29 -0500
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 06:17:12PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In reading the manual for parameters such as the tar, rsync, etc. share,
> I see:
>
> "Alternatively, rather than backup all the file systems as a single
> share ("/"), it is easier to restore a single file system if you backup
> each file system separately."
>
> Can anyone tell me why this is easier?  Can't one select the subset of
> the backup to restore out of a whole filesystem backup anyhow?

One reason I always specify the --one-file-system argument for rsync is
that prevents me from accidentally backing up an NFS share.  Since I use
BackupPC for all the computers on my LAN, the data in the NFS share gets
backed up when I back up the server that is hosting/exporting the share.

Same thing goes for the occasional fuse share.  In particular, I've
started using encfs and I certainly wouldn't want a copy of my encrypted
data to get backed up unencrypted, just because BackupPC happened to be
running when I had an encrypted volume mounted.

-Rob