BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Use case where get duplicate pool files?

2011-01-23 10:50:41
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Use case where get duplicate pool files?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: General list for user discussion <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:48:08 -0500
Looking at MakeFileLink, I realized that it compares the full file
length including the first byte header and the potential  rsync digest
trailer.

So, if one starts using rsync and then switches to another transport
method, won't you get duplicate pool files since new comparisons will
compare a (new) compressed file without rsync digest to an old pool
file with rsync digest? (these files will have the same partial file
md5sum names in the cpool but will have different suffixes)

This could be a common use case if for example one is backing up mixed
Linux and Windows machines with common files using rsync, and smb
transport, respectively.

Unless I am missing something, this seem like a potentially major
source of pool data duplication.

In my jLib.pm, I have written a function zcompare2 that only compares
the compressed zlib data between the first byte header and the
potential rsync digest trailer. Since the zlib data envelope never
changes this gives pool matches even if one file is straight zlib
(first byte =0x78) and the other is rsync digest (first byte = 0xd6 or
0xd7).

I have also btw, written a slightly streamlined version of compare
(which I call jcompare) that strips out some unnecessary code for
binary files and also works better with weird filenames.

I have combined these changes plus the ones mentioned in my earlier
thread on MakeFileLink to create a new jMakeFileLink function that
uses jcompare for non-compressed (pool) files and zcompare2 for
compressed (cpool) files.