BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Automatic adding of hosts

2011-01-19 14:00:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Automatic adding of hosts
From: Ski Kacoroski <kacoroski AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:58:00 -0800
Dave,

Please see my post on 2011-01-18 05:33 regarding Clustering BackupPC.  I
have been doing essentially what you are asking.  I have a database of
names and IP's that I can query to get which hosts need to be backed up.

cheers,

ski

On 01/08/2011 06:16 AM, Dave Parce wrote:
> Before I go write something myself, I'm curious if anyone knows if this has
> already been done.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Has anyone seen anything like this done before? Even a part
> of it?
> 2) Is there any interest in adding such functionality to BackupPC? If so,
> I would certainly be willing to submit this code to the BackupPC developers.
>
> Short description: A "host discovery" action is kicked off at regular
> intervals.
> When a host is found that is not already in the hosts files and if it is not
> in
> an "ignore" file, it is added to the hosts file.
>
> Longer description: The IP ranges defined in $Conf{DHCPAddressRanges} are
> scanned for active computers. The computer name is determined and if it does
> not
> exist in an "ignore host" file (like for routers, switches or personal
> computers), it would be added to the hosts file as an "inactive" host (if it
> does not already have an entry in the hosts file).
>
> Functionality would have to be added to the hosts file code to implement an
> "enable" flag. Hosts added through the web interface would default to enabled.
> Hosts added via the discovery script would default to disabled.
>
> A checkbox would need to be added to the "Edit hosts" screen for "enable". A
> separate screen would need to be added to manage the "ignore hosts" file.
>
> Basically, here is my idea: A brand new BackupPC installation is created.
> Hosts
> could be added by hand, but you may not know the names. The discovery script
> would run and enter a bunch of disabled hosts. Some hosts like routers would
> be
> "ignored". The rest could be enabled.
>
> If you have a reasonably configured collection of computers (like a bunch of
> Windows computers in a domain), all of them would be setup to back up very
> quickly.
>
> At worst, you at least have a list of names now to investigate how to back
> them
> up.
>
> Comments?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
  connected to the entire universe"            John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, kacoroski AT gmail DOT com, 206-501-9803
or ski98033 on most IM services