BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What to do about long backup times on large partitions

2011-01-19 11:24:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What to do about long backup times on large partitions
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:23:07 -0600
On 1/19/2011 6:37 AM, Jeffrey Newman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to backup a large partition. About 1.1TB.
> The machine is few years old, so the data rate over the wire is about 12
> MB/sec. The first full backup took over 40 hours. The incrementals are taking
> over 12 hours.
>
> My assumption is that the file time and date stamp are sent over and possibly
> a checksum. This is compared against the previously backed up files.
>
> My using RSYNC as my transport. Is there some sort of archive bit that can be
> set on the source machine to indicate not to even send a file that has
> previously been sent? Of course this would only apply to incremental backups.
>
> Or is there some other way to speed things up?

Rsync always sends the entire directory listing before starting and
holds it in RAM for the comparison.  If you have a huge number of files
you might be pushing one or both machines into swap which will slow it
down a lot.

Even if this is not the issue, you might be able to improve things by
breaking the backups into separate subdirectory targets if there are
reasonable places to do that.   You can take that another step if you
configure the server as though each subdirectory was a separate host,
using the ClientAlias setting to point to the same target.  That would
let you skew the timing so fulls would happen on different days for each
run.