BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc ignores value of BackupFilesOnly; archives entire /

2011-01-18 12:00:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc ignores value of BackupFilesOnly; archives entire /
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:58:19 -0500
On 1/18/2011 11:39 AM, itismike wrote:
> @Les: The 'very wrong' syntax I posted is what was auto-generated when I
> added my target directory ("/home/michael/") using the CGI. But if you're not
> a fan of the web interface, these examples are taken directly from the
> config.pl file:
> Examples:
> #    $Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = '/myFiles';
> #    $Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = ['/myFiles'];
> # same as first example
>
> All the CGI did was add some whitespace and enclose it in brackets:
> $Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = {
> '/home/michael/' => [
> ''
> ]
> };
>
> Now if the above code can't be interpreted correctly by BackupPC, then we may
> have stumbled upon the root cause. But I don't think this is the problem or
> others would be finding the same issue.
>
> @Bowie: Thanks for breaking that down, but I don't see how this explains why
> my system is backing up everything starting at /. Your explanation appears to
> match the documentation, so it should be working as I had intended - hence my
> reason for opening this thread.

The GUI created the incorrect syntax because you put the information in
the wrong place in the GUI.

In the field titled "New Key", you should enter the sharename you want
to affect (or '*' for all) and then click "Add".  Once you have created
the key, you can use the Insert/Delete/Add buttons to add in the
directory and file names.  When you are done, you should see the
sharename to the left and a list of directory and file names to the right.

In the example you give above, you are saying that you want to specify
files to backup on the '/home/michael/' share, but there is nothing
specified.  And even if you did have some entries listed, it would not
do anything unless '/home/michael/' was one of your share names.

Devs:  Would it make sense for the GUI to generate a warning message of
some sort when the keyname does not match a share name or when there is
a keyname with nothing specified for it?

--
Bowie