BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] backing up Windows 7 libraries

2011-01-13 14:24:00
Subject: [BackupPC-users] backing up Windows 7 libraries
From: Rick Brown <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:22:04 -0500
Hi Frank,
Windows 7 is a little tricky to the actual directories with internal aliases.
If you go to the "My Videos" shortcut, you'll find the actual path is something
like C:\Users\<username>\Videos  - or something close to this.

I could not find a single canned backup application that could backup a users
data without propietary encoding, collecting & updating only the user's files
(who cares about the OS?).
I ended up writing my own backup script with time-stamped logging of what was
found and when.
Windows 7 showed that the "My Documnets" shortcut is only there for users to
click on taking them to the actual directory - which is in the path of
C:\Users\<username\Documents.

Hope this helps.