BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Possible to mimic the "dirvish" behaviour of rsync?

2010-12-22 14:09:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Possible to mimic the "dirvish" behaviour of rsync?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: Andreas.Piening AT gmail DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:06:04 -0500
Andreas Piening <andreas.piening AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 12/22/2010 09:08:28 AM:

> One additional question: You say that the number of incremental backups
> will slow down the backup process, which makes sense to me because
> backuppc needs to iterate over all incremental backups. But which settings
> are the "best" if I want a history that goes more than 7 days in the past?
> For instance if I want to keep the last 14 days in the backup, is it
> enough to set "FullKeepCnt=2" and leave "FullPeriod=6.97" and
> "IncrPeriod=0.97"?
> Does "FullKeepCnt=2" still use pooling then? What I mean is: Does it need
> twice the space as with "FullKeepCnt=1", or are there still hardlinks used
> to address the unchanged files?

Hard links are used no matter what.  The only difference between an incremental backup and a full backup is that an incremental backup only checks files it can detect as changed, and a full checks every one.  It is possible for a file to be changed and not detected as changed, so a full catches this.

It has *NOTHING* to do with how much space a backup takes.  Both will take *exactly* the same amount of space (ignoring the possibility of files that might be missed by an incremental).

If you want to be able to restore a file for each of the last 14 days, you want a FullKeepCnt that meets your needs (at least 2, but I would recommend something like 2,2,2--look at the documentation!), and an IncKeepCount of something like 12.  That will give you 14 days of daily backup.

Again, read the documentation.  It is extremely well done.  With BackupPC, it's easy to say something like, "I want one backup a day for 14 days, one backup every week for 6 weeks, 6 backups every 2 weeks, and 12 backups every 4 weeks (close enough to a month).  That would give you nearly 17 months of backups, and depending on your deltas (the amount of data that changes daily), it might take only a few tens of percent more space than a *single* backup!

(For the record, the configuration for that is:  FullPeriod=6.97 [*Very* little reason to change this ever], IncPeriod=0.97 [Same here, too], FullKeepCnt=8,6,12 [8 weeekly backups, 6 2-weekly backups and 12 4-weekly backups] and IncKeepCnt=12 [12 daily incremental backups plus two of the 8 weekly full backups during that time=2 weeks of daily backups].  These are *not* in Perl syntax, but you could enter them into the GUI as-is.)

> The more I think about it the more I understand how much "magic" must be
> going on in the backuppc backend!

Actually not that much.  Much of the magic is actually in rsync;  the only real "magic" in BackupPC is that it can detect when a "new" file is actually the same as any other "existing" file and eliminate the duplicated space.

(Not to minimize the value of BackupPC:  I love it to death.  But it is not a black box:  it's actually very understandable.  Still, major props to Craig for putting everything together in an easy-to-use package!)

Timothy J. Massey
Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.