BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature? Bug? Something. BackupPC_tarPCCopy and fixing links.

2010-12-07 13:54:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature? Bug? Something. BackupPC_tarPCCopy and fixing links.
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 13:52:05 -0500
Robin Lee Powell wrote at about 10:21:39 -0800 on Tuesday, December 7, 2010:

 > So, I've made BackupPC_fixLinks do what I want in terms of fixing
 > the problems that caused it to emit hundreds of:
 >
 >   Can't find
 > redbubble--tm50-e00145--tm50-s00339---shared/40/f%2f/fshared/fredbubble/fpurchase_order_assets/fbatch_7749/faddresses_dom
 > estic_20101026T01.csv in pool, will copy file
 >
 > and fill up my drive with extra data.
 >
 > Then I realized something.
 >
 > tarPCCopy does exactly the same thing that I just made
 > BackupPC_fixLinks do, as far as I can tell: it does all the md5sum
 > calculations and checks the pool, it just doesn't *fix* the problems
 > it finds.  Which seems *really* unfortunate, having done all that
 > work!
 >
 > So.  I would love it if tarPCCopy fixed these problems.
 >
 > I also echo Jeffrey's request for the md5sum to be stored in the
 > attrib file; that would make tarPCCopy so very, very fast.

I'm not sure it will happen since Craig is focused on the next
version, though it wouldn't be hard to add if you are so inclined to
get down and dirty with the code.

However, remember that you would probably only want to store the
partial md5sum itself and not the chain suffix since that can be
changed by BackupPC_nightly and there is no easy way to back-identify
all pc files pointing to a pool entry. So, whenever you have pool
collisions, you would still need to "iterate" through the chain to
find the right pool file. Still this is generally a relatively rare event
(percentage wise).... (though you will get a little more than your
share since you have collisions due to max inode count being exceeded too)