BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] jLib.pm question

2010-12-06 15:35:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] jLib.pm question
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 15:33:52 -0500
Robin Lee Powell wrote at about 11:28:56 -0800 on Monday, December 6, 2010:

 > I've locally modified BackupPC_fixLinks to check files even if they
 > have more than one link.
I'm not sure what you mean... the program should work with any number
of links. If there is a missing use case, please explain so I can fix it.

 >I'm getting a lot of errors like this:
 >
 >   Can't read size of
 > /backups/pc/foo--tm50-e00145--tm50-s00339---shared/47/f%2f/fshared/flogs/fapplication.log-20100830.gz
 >  from attrib file so calculating manually
 >
 > Would it be possible for jLib to fix that, so it doesn't happen
 > again on subsequent runs?

It's been a while since I wrote the program... but I think that not
being able to read the size is a true error case and I would wonder why
the attrib file is not including the filesize entry. As far as I recall,
every file backed up should be listed in the attrib file and the size
is one of the basic features that should always be recorded.

Are your attrib files corrupted?
Can you look at the attrib file and see what might be wrong and/or
different about that file?
If those are 'normal', perhaps there is something wrong with my
code...

> Or is that something that should be: fixed?  I'm not really clear on
> what the problem is.

I actually wrote the warning more as belt-and-suspenders since that
case should only appear if your attrib file is corrupted (unless I am
not understanding something about BackupPC attrib files) -- to tell
the truth, I don't believe I ever encountered this error on *real* data.

I don't think it would be a good idea to add to BackuPC_fixLinks to fix
bad attrib files. The "beauty" of this program is that it is all about
detecting and fixing bad *links* per its name.

One could easily write another program to check attrib files for
integrity and fix where broken (Actually, size is probably the only
piece of redundant information since it is also calculable from the
actual file). Note also that BackupPC_fixLinks wasn't designed to
detect (let alone) fix inconsistent attrib content and indeed it only
even looks at the attrib file for size information as a shortcut for
files ~>1MB so that it doesn't have to decompress the cpool.

Let me know if this answers your question or if I misunderstood what
you were requesting...