BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] PingCmd for host behind firewall

2010-11-20 14:31:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] PingCmd for host behind firewall
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 19:28:46 +0000
On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 19:53 +0100, Gian Carlo Stagni wrote:
> Set PingCmd simply to "/bin/true" (and hope the remote host keeps
> working fine)

Or use a TCP ping method. However, this requires your BackupPC server to
either run a command as root or run a setuid root command:

sudo hping3 -S -c 1 -p 22 host | grep 'flags=SA'

hping3 treats ICMP-port-unreachable messages as answers, so you have to
grep for "SYN ACK" flags in the returned packet.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"If we confuse dissent with disloyalty — if we deny the right of the
individual to be wrong, unpopular, eccentric or unorthodox — if we