BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Issue with SMB and "My Documents" folder?

2010-10-14 15:29:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Issue with SMB and "My Documents" folder?
From: Craig A <tabmow99 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:28:19 -0400

> Have you actually set up any network shares on this computer?

Yep, i've set up several network shares on the PC.   The two other
shares in directories other than "Documents and Settings" (eg one of
the other dirs is "C:\transfer") with no spaces in their name work
just fine - backuppc has no issue with them.  However, this one mount
under "Documents and Settings" is the one giving me issues.

> What version of Windows is this? I think 'Home' versions of Windows don't
> have the c$ share but I don't remember. (I set up rsyncd unless it doesn't
> work in that instance, which is pretty rare.)

It's Win XP Professional with SP3.
(as a side note, if i just do "c$" as the directory, backuppc seems to
work fine - i let it go for 10 minutes before cancelling the request,
i don't know if it did anything in "Documents and Settings").

> If you go to another computer and go Start -> Run ->
> '\\computer.example.com\sharename' (obviously substiute your own values
> here) can you get access to it?

Yes, both the shares with no spaces and the share with the space in
the name are perfectly accessible from any other windows machine on
this network.

I've tried both the share "name" (ie. "Downloads" - the name i set in
"Sharing" tab) and the full path (ie. "Documents and
Settings\username\My Documents\Downloads") in the <hostname>.pl file.
 Both give me the same result - no luck.   Which should i be using?

Thanks,
Craig.