BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What's using all this disk space?

2010-10-04 16:21:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What's using all this disk space?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 16:19:16 -0400
Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org> wrote on 10/04/2010 03:45:11 PM:

> On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 03:32:23PM -0400, Timothy J Massey wrote:
> > Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org> wrote on 10/04/2010
> > 03:28:23 PM:

> > > We have 200+ servers getting backed up on here.  :)
> >
> > Well, then, you'll want to parse the pc/<hostname>/backups file.
> > The 9th (New Files Count) and 10th (New Files Size) field (AFAICT)
> > are what you're looking for.
>
> *Ooooooooooooh*.  I thought I had to write Perl to talk to the
> server.  That's *easy*.

You don't have to write any Perl to talk to the server:  Craig has done an outstanding job of packaging the functions of BackupPC into powerful command line functions.  Virtually anything you can do from the GUI (and more!) can be done from the command line, using *any* language you want.

In addition, BackupPC stores everything you see in the GUI in nicely formatted text files that can be processed however you would like.  The most important one being the "backups" file in each host's directory.

I'm glad that pointing that out helped!

Tim Massey