BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Why does my rsync backup takes 7 hours?

2010-09-15 17:24:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Why does my rsync backup takes 7 hours?
From: George Adams <g_adams27 AT hotmail DOT com>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:22:02 -0400
Thanks for the replies, Kenneth and Les.  Kenneth, do you find that SMB is
faster than rsync for backing up Windows boxes?

Les, that' not good news if 2-3 hour incremental backups and 7 hour full
backups are par for the course.  Is the slowdown due to the network-transfer
time, or is some kind of checksum being run on every single one of the 21,000+
files, even during an incremental backup?    If so, why isn't the
"--checksum-seed=32761" option making any difference?

Thanks.  It'd be nice if I could setup some blackout times for this Windows PC,
but unfortunately it gets turned on in the morning, used sporadically (but
consistently) during the day, then turned off at night.