BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to purge backups for a host

2010-09-08 10:39:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to purge backups for a host
From: Richard Alloway <ralloway AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 10:36:45 -0400
Many thanks to everyone who replied!

Removing the directories worked exactly as I wanted!

The reason I wanted to start fresh is that I completely changed the directories that I wanted to back up... I started with a small test directory and now want to remove the test and start backup #0 fresh with the entire backup.

I realize I could just perform a full backup to get a complete backup of the entire backup contents, but would prefer to clean up my test first :)

Thanks again!

-Rich

---------------------------------
He's just this guy... ya know?!
---------------------------------

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 12:49, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com> wrote:
On 09/07 11:35 , Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 9/7/2010 10:49 AM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > On 09/07 11:29 , Richard Alloway wrote:
> >> Can I simply delete the data/pc/<host>  tree or do I need to do something
> >> more elegant?
> >
> > That's the first step.
> > To have the space reclaimed you'll need to run
> > '/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_nightly 0 255' to clean up the pool
> > references.
>
> But that will happen by itself eventually - and won't really make a big
> difference anyway if you are going to repeat the backup of the same
> data.

True.
I pointed it out mostly for the sake of those people who are confused when
they 'delete' all those files but their disk usage doesn't go down.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator