BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backup failed (inet connect: Connection timed out)

2010-09-02 09:08:27
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backup failed (inet connect: Connection timed out)
From: Andrew LaPierre <andrew AT gccsda DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 08:46:07 -0400
I'm setting up a new install of BackupPC on Ubuntu 10.04, and have run into a problem.  I have rsyncd running fine on both a Win XP and Win 7 machine, I'm able to login to the share from the terminal of the server running BackupPC with the command rsync user@host::backup, and get a listing after entering the password.  I'm pretty sure that means my clients are configured properly.  However, when I try to do a backup, I get
Backup failed on computer (inet connect: Connection timed out)

I've checked all the XFER settings, and they all appear to be correct.

XferMethod = rsyncd
RsyncShareName = backup (same as the rsyncd client share)
RsyncdUserName = correct
RsyncdPasswd = also correct
RsyncAuthRequired = checked

Those should be all it needs to connect I believe, but it times out every time. Is there something
you guys can think of that I should check? I have opened port 873 on both windows boxes, and don't
even have the firewall running on the Linux box.  I also think that shouldn't matter since I can connect from the terminal, I'm thinking something must be configured improperly with the BackupPC server.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

-Andrew