BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Can I disable file pooling?

2010-08-27 11:06:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Can I disable file pooling?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:03:45 -0400
junk wrote at about 08:24:49 -0400 on Friday, August 27, 2010:
 > Hi everyone,
 >
 > I'm wondering if there's a way to disable pooling (i.e. file copy
 > instead of a hard link)?  In other words, can I disable de-duplication?
 >
 > I ask because in some circumstances, I might prefer to consume more
 > space in order to de-risk against the possibility of a single bit
 > "flipping" and corrupting all instances of a hard-linked file.
 >
 > Thanks for your help
 > :-)

I think you would be much better up backing up the pool or running
multiple copies of BackupPC. I don't know the exact statistics, but I
know that "single bit flips" are in general *way* less likely than disk
failures or file system corruptions  that would affect the entire pool
whether de-duped or not.