BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 3.2.0 released

2010-08-05 02:28:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 3.2.0 released
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: komodo <komodo AT uvt DOT cz>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 23:27:02 -0700
Martin  writes:

> And what about rsync3 support in File::RsyncP ?

There's progress.  Most of my BackupPC work recently has been on 4.x,
the next major version.  Several months ago there were various emails
about the architecture.  Yes, it will support rsync 3.x and extended
attributes.  I've taken a different approach for rsync support and
File::RsyncP is no longer used.  The new setup uses a slightly modified
native rsync 3.x on the server side, with a perl emulation layer on all
file system IO that maps to the BackupPC store.  The advantage is all
the usual rsync options are available, and it's native C code (until it
hits the perl emulation layer of course).

And, yes, there will be no hardlinks in 4.x...

Craig