BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Changing from smb to rsyncd

2010-07-28 12:48:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Changing from smb to rsyncd
From: Jim Kyle <jim AT jimkyle DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:47:43 -0500
On Wednesday, July 28, 2010, at 11:09:06 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:

> Is there anything I should watch for before I make this change?
> Anything I should do other than just changing the appropriate config
> settings for the client?

When I made such a change for several Windows boxes on my LAN, I found it
advisable to immediately run a full backup, manually, for each of them, to
give the rsyncd setup a new baseline. My experience was that rsyncd
returned many files that smb had been getting "permission denied" on. Since
these files didn't exist on the last smb full backup, each incremental
transferred them all over again. Establishing the new baseline sped matters
up considerably.

One of them, though, ran for some 13 hours attempting the full backup
before I stopped it, and at that point it was less than half done. I
removed that share (it was an archival drive) from the configuration before
continuing, and the next full backup took only about 20 minutes.

It's also helpful to exclude directories such as /WINDOWS and /WINNT from
consideration; of course if you're only backing up data that won't enter
into it, but I prefer to back up the full drive and exclude the directories
that I don't want...

--
Jim Kyle
mailto:jim AT jimkyle DOT com