BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] file rename causes retransfer

2010-07-25 12:09:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] file rename causes retransfer
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 11:06:15 -0500
> well, I would expect that only the differences in files would be
> transferred.

> Files can be identical (i.e. no differences) but have different names,
> can't they?

Well, no...  Not unless they're linked together as the same file.

Otherwise, what you have is two files with two different names, that
happen to have the same contents.

They'll be linked together in the pool after analysis, but there's no way
for rsync (or any of the other transfer protocols) to know that a file
with a completely different name happens to have the same contents as any
other file.