BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Sending full copies of files that are old and exist in cpool

2010-07-20 17:11:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Sending full copies of files that are old and exist in cpool
From: nhoeller AT sinet DOT ca
To: BackupPC-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:58:01 -0400
John, the other problem I had is posted at http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=OFFE6253E3.C63F04BF-ON85257764.004B5F46-85257764.004F1D51%40sinet.ca with a response by Josh Malone.  I think my situation is rather unique, unless your backuppc system lost track of some full backups and your problems did not go away after a full backup.

Until I did a full backup, the incremental backups were transferred 140MB of data and the files were marked as 'pool'.  The full backup on the 16th marked the files as 'same'.  An incremental backup on the same day did not check the files.  I 'touch'ed one of the files on the 17th - it was checked by the incremental backup on the 18th, the file was marked as 'same' but no data was transferred.  The incremental backup on the 19th failed (connectivity).  The incremental backup on the 20th also checked the file, marked it as 'same' but again no data was transferred.

I do not know enough about what backuppc does with a file that is in the pool but not in any full backup.  I increased logging to '-vvv' and enabled '--stats' which is what led me to believe that checksum information was not properly sent to the remote site (the remote system reported false_alarms=0 hash_hits=0 matches=0).
        Regards, Norbert