BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Estimate rsync speed

2010-05-27 17:12:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Estimate rsync speed
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 16:10:28 -0500
On 5/27/2010 3:54 PM, Peter Doherty wrote:

>> But how can I estimate how long rsync needs to determine which files
>> transfer? I'd like to do the whole backup process at night, and I feel
>> that this could be impossible.
>>
>> Thanks!
>

> The biggest factor is how many files this is, which I don't see in
> your message.  if it's 1 5GB file, then it might take seconds to
> calculate the changes.
> if it's 5 million files, then it's going to take a lot longer, perhaps
> hours.

Basically it is going to transfer the entire directory listing then walk
through it.  On incremental runs it will skip anything where the length
and timestamp match the copy in your previous full.  On fulls it will
read all data and do a block checkum comparison. This doesn't take a lot
of bandwidth but it may take too much time for you - but perhaps you can
schedule the fulls to hit weekends if the target is less busy then.

Also, if the data is compressible, it may help if you add the -C option
the the ssh command.