BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best way to backup Windows clients?

2010-05-06 12:50:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best way to backup Windows clients?
From: "John BORIS" <jboris AT adphila DOT org>
To: "questions and support General list for user discussion" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 12:49:05 -0400
Kris,
In my setup I would have loved to just use the mounts but security
issues here put a stop to that so I had to go to rsync. That has worked
on my Windows XP and Server 2003 machines but I am having issues with my
Server 2008 machines but that may be another firewall and security
issue. I am by no means a Guru with this stuff but the rsync on the
Windows machines was a breeze to install and configure even for me (a
windows challenged person). The only thing I do notice is that when I am
on my laptop which is using rsync under XP , I do get some performance
issues at the start but my laptop is not on the network all the time and
I haven't tuned the backup schedule to only do this say between certain
hours.

John J. Boris, Sr.
JEN-A-SyS Administrator
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
"Remember! That light at the end of the tunnel
Just might be the headlight of an oncoming train!"

>>> Kris Lou <klou AT themusiclink DOT net> 5/6/2010 11:51 AM >>>
Hey people,

I'm wondering what the preferred method is to backing up Windows
clients,
especially in terms of performance.  Currently, I'm simply mounting
windows
drives via SMB/autofs, and running rsync over that.  I like it because
don't have to install any additional software on the clients.  But I
know/read that a lot of people run Cygwin and rsync directly.  What are
the
advantages of that?

Thanks,