BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 mon

2010-04-29 15:34:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noted Observations & Complaints Using BackupPC for 5 mon
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:32:31 -0500
On 4/29/2010 2:02 PM, Saturn2888 wrote:

> So what's the maximum amount of incrementals I should do then? For wireless
> devices it's best to keep it going and let the server handle the rest, for my
> wired computers, I'm assuming anywhere from 6-8 is plenty and I should
> probably not do more than that.

I just use the defaults - no incremental levels and weekly fulls.  It's
not the number of incrementals that adds the directory searches, it is
the depth of the levels you set.  But, I don't know what the optimal
setting would be - it probably depends on how many of the same files
change daily vs. the number of new files.  Not using levels means each
incremental copies all changes since the previous full over again.