BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore large file problem

2010-03-20 14:45:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore large file problem
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 13:43:04 -0500

> I am using Backuppc and its working nicely with me, the problem appeared
> when i tried to restore a large PST file to its original location, i am
> using smb mode, here it is the error
> Contents of file /var/lib/backuppc/pc/XYZ/RestoreLOG.1.z, modified
> 2010-03-20 10&#58;52&#58;43 &#40;Extracting only Errors&#41;
>
> Running&#58; /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\XYZ\\pst\$ -U emeaegyalxpc009\\icb1885
> -E -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -Tx -
> Running&#58; /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h XYZ -n 13 -s
> pst\$ -t /Mabbass_2010.pst
> Xfer PIDs are now 505,506
> &#91; skipped 2 lines &#93;
> tarCreate&#58; Unable to write to output file &#40;Connection reset by
> peer&#41;
> Error writing remote file
> This backup will fail because&#58; Abandoning restore
> Abandoning restore
> restore failed&#58; Abandoning restore
>

> When i monitored the location i found the file keep growing till 2gb then
> stop, and the error appear, i was able to download the file directly from
> the link, but my question is there any work around to get restoring to
> original location for big files working? thanks.

You probably want to peruse this page:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/limitations.html#maximum_backup_file_sizes

In a nutshell, it appears that smbclient has a bug, but
BackupPC_tarExtract compensates for it.  I'm reading that to mean you can
recover >2G files with a tar archive, but not with smbclient.  (I'm also
reading that as not a BackupPC problem.)