BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Daily backup volume

2010-03-15 10:17:56
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Daily backup volume
From: Keith Edmunds <kae AT midnighthax DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:44:40 +0000
Backuppc v3.1 using rsync

We are trying to measure the amount of changed data per backup run for a
given client machine. What we've done so far is examine the transfer log
for that client, specifically:

BackupPC_zcat /var/lib/backuppc/pc/CLIENT/XferLOG.nnn |
        grep '\W*create'|\
        grep -v '\W*create d'|\
        awk '{totalsize += $4}END{printf("%d\n", totalsize/1024/1024)}'"

In other words, find all lines the XferLOG file that start with 'create'
but do not start with 'create d', and then sum up the size of the
transfers.

Is this a valid mechanism? If a large files has a small change, and thus
rsync only transfers a relatively small percentage of the file, does the
transfer log reflect the size of the transfer or the size of the file in
full?

Thanks,
Keith