BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Concrete proposal for feature extension for pooling

2010-03-14 18:57:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Concrete proposal for feature extension for pooling
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 17:56:07 -0500
Saturn2888 wrote:

> I actually do have DDNS setup, but it's based on my DHCP server and that
> doesn't tell it, if the machine connected on Wi-Fi, to prioritize the DNS
> name hostname.local to 192.168.0.12 instead of 192.168.0.13. The easiest way
> to do any of this, especially with a machine that isn't allowing the pinging
> of machines by windows hostnames, is to do it by IP address. The DHCP method
> in BackupPC counts from the bottom up. If the Wi-Fi card is setup as a lower
> IP, then it will be pulled first also not solving the issue.
>
> The main thing here is, there should be some way of solving this problem in
> BackupPC, not creating other problems with having to setup local DDNS servers
> on in upwards of 20 machines or more and then having to tell people to turn
> off the wireless cards when they plug in. It'd be so much easier just to say
> "ClientAlias {} take an array" just like how file/directory excludes work.

I think it is an unusual setup that causes the problem - and it is a general
networking problem, not at all related to backuppc.  And I'm not actually sure
that connecting to a specific IP would help if the other connections are
available and still have viable routes on the target host.  Ip routes are
asymmetrical and the host makes its own decision about the return path.  I'm
not
sure if backuppc will try multiple IP addresses if they are returned by DNS for
a name and the first choice doesn't work.  Browsers typically do that and it
works out well.  That could fix the case of a machine alternating between
wired/wireless if both are in DNS - but not multiple connections with different
speeds/reliability at the same time.

> Most of what you said isn't a solution, it's yet another problem. If you
> thought it'd be better to talk to the Bacula client,

I mentioned the bacula client as an alternative to your suggestion of reviving
the backuppc client - at the moment, neither is usable, but I thought you were
talking about future development.

> then why is SSH-port forwarding the best option?

Because it works now and offers the compression option you said you wanted.

> If BackupPC already knows how to talk through SSH pub/priv key, then why
> doesn't it just allow that for Rsyncd as well?

Normally if you want to use ssh, you'd use rsync instead of rsyncd - and I'd
expect that to be almost universal for non-windows targets.  But there has been
a bug in the cygwin ssh/rsync combination in the past that would cause random
hangs.  It may or may not be fixed in the current version.  So port-forwarding
over ssh to get encryption/compression or to start the connection from the
other
end to meet firewall requirements are special cases that work if you have to
deal with certain issues - or have windows and a somewhat broken ssh/rsync.

> One of the biggest things on the configuration side of things is having a
> global config and then having to modify that on a per-machine basis rather
> than having configuration profiles or a way to have a global config and then
> have a machine config underneath it which allows even more modification. I'd
> rather see a method of adding functionality for easier management of multiple
> machines which are similar Linux vs Windows rather than seeing "make global
> for Linux and go by hand and change all the Windows machines, but if you make
> a change to the global config and want that reflected in the Windows machines
> too, there's no way to do that other than doing it by hand". See what I mean?
> One solves the problem the other does nothing but create more headache and
> doesn't solve the problem.

I'd like to see another 'group' level of inheritance, but I don't see a big
problem with the way things currently work since you can create one per-host
instance with everything the way you will want for a group, then copy it with
the NEWHOST=COPYHOST syntax in the web 'edit hosts' screen.  It only becomes an
issue if you want to change an existing setting across an existing group of
similar machines.