BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] send an email upon successful backup?

2010-03-10 16:15:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] send an email upon successful backup?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:13:36 -0500
Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo AT wpkg DOT org> wrote on 03/10/2010 12:44:35 PM:

> Am 10.03.2010 18:02, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > On 03/09 11:15 , Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> >> Is it possible to make BackupPC send an email after a successful
backup?

> >> Right now, I only see it will notify on backup failures.
> >
> > This has been asked several times in the past.
> > Usually it's been pointed out that it's a poor idea; since it's
backwards of
> > the Unix philosophy that 'no news is good news', which is based on the
fact
> > that it's really hard to notice the *absence* of something.
>
> Unless your mailing system on the backup host broke down while the
> backups are failing, too.
>
> Or you want to graph some stats etc.

A daily e-mail is *not* the right tool for either of those jobs:  status
monitoring or statistics.  That's what active monitoring systems and data
logging systems (Nagios, Cacti, etc.) are for.  Such tools can connect
directly to the server and pull whatever information you want them to,
nearly continuously.

People who are used to getting such daily e-mails think that living
without them is impossible;  however, once you have an actual monitoring
system, you will never want to go back.  Like has been said, one of two
things will happen:  either you will simply begin to ignore the daily
e-mails (in which case they're useless), or you will have the discipline
to open every one of those e-mails.  In which case, you have the
discipline to open the BackupPC webpage every day!  :)

But again, a system like Nagios is invaluable for this type of thing.

Timothy J. Massey