BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and lessfs

2010-03-06 02:59:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and lessfs
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Gerald Brandt <gbr AT majentis DOT com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 23:58:26 -0800
Gerald writes:

> Has anybody looked into using BackupPC with lessfs?
> http://www.lessfs.com<http://www.lessfs.com/>

Overall lessfs looks promising.

Yes, I have looked into it, although I tested it with native rsync not
BackupPC.  I did some benchmarking of lessfs with rsync to get an idea
of the performance.  I used lessfs-0.2.0 (~9 months ago).

Overall the performance was significantly slower (more than an order
of magnitude) than a native file system.  I'm not sure if I was doing
something wrong, or whether it is due to the FUSE overhear, or whether
things have improved in more recent versions.  But I decided it wasn't
nearly fast enough to be useful for BackupPC.

Craig