BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarExtract performance problems

2010-03-03 23:16:18
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarExtract performance problems
From: Chris Adamson <chris.adamson AT mcri.edu DOT au>
To: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 14:44:09 +1100
Everyone,

I am running a backuppc installation with a pool around about 3.5TB. The
biggest share in this pool is around 2TB and is located on the machine
itself, so I use the tar method on localhost to back it up. When I do
full backups of this share it takes around 4 days to complete and it
seems to be only creating around about 10 small files every 20 seconds
in the pc/localhost/new directory. This seems very slow.

It is not a disk problem or hardware throughput problem because a) I'm
not using compression and b) and there is no disk activity. The CPU
usage for BackupPC_tarExtract is constantly at 100% or thereabouts. The
tar process that is creating the tar file is largely idle.

The disk system is a RAID5-EE with 13 non-parity disks and it is
formatted to ext3.

So my question is twofold: What could be causing this problem? Is there
a way of profiling the script so that a bottleneck could be identified?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

--
Dr Christopher Adamson, PhD (Melb.), B Software Engineering (Hons., Monash)
Research Officer

Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
The Royal Children’s Hospital
Flemington Road Parkville Victoria 3052 Australia
T 9345 4306
M XXXX XXX XXX
E chris.adamson AT mcri.edu DOT au
www.mcri.edu.au